Camino Ignaciano: Loyola to Zumarraga (Day 2)

Day 2: From Loyola to Zumarraga 
Stage 1 of the Camino

Yikes! It was the first day of the actual Camino! I was filled with both excitement and trepidation, not knowing if I could really finish the 17.7 km walk for this day.

We woke up early, had a quick breakfast at the hotel and prepared to pack up. While waiting for the rest of the group to bring down their luggages, I couldn't help but sneak in back to the Basilica for a goodbye and thank you prayer. The staff informed us that the Chapel of Conversion was open, and we marched up the stairs to say a quick prayer. Needless to say, we got lost. The rest of my companions gave up and proceeded downstairs, but I was really intent on having one last look. I remembered the short flight of wooden stairs beyond the third floor, and after climbing up here, I found myself in the sacristy adjoining the Chapel. The daily mass was already ongoing, so I contented myself with a glimpse of St. Ignatius' statue and said a prayer there in the sacristy.

Back on the grounds, we had our group photos taken and received the blessing for pilgrims. Then we were off.

From the Basilica, we headed towards the town of Azkoitia. The first leg of the walk (4 km) was easy, along paved roads in quiet neighborhoods with a beautiful mountain scenery as the backdrop. We ended at another church, the Parroquia Santa Maria La Real, where we had our pilgrim's passport stamped. 

Parroquia Santa Maria La Real
I liked the wide open space design of this town!

The second leg had us passing through some rugged roads, at first walking through the outskirts of town filled with  seemingly empty factories. Azkoitia used to be an industrial town, hence the factory-like structures.

Azkoitia - an old industrial town

After a while, the surroundings became more natural. We walked along stony paths with lots of trees on the side. It seemed like we were passing through the mountainside, except that the walk was not steep. We passed through several bridges and tunnels as well. The tunnels were largely used for walking and cycling, not for railroads or cars. I enjoyed going through these tunnels, as they were a cool respite from the heat. The tunnels were quite well-maintained too, complete with white walls and motion-detection lights.

The first of many tunnels
I lost count after 8...it must have been about 20!

The end of the second leg was the Church of San Agustin, a small and simple chapel in reality, unlike the ornate and imposing basilicas we had been visiting. It was closed too, so we couldn't get a glimpse of what was inside.

There were more rugged paths and tunnels for the third leg. My roommate Dit and I were trudging along when I suddenly spied a long violet snake in her path. As luck would have it, Dit got surprised and had leg cramps right in front of the snake! I saw it rear its head, making a hissing sound. I thought it would strike us. Fortunately, we somehow managed to get out of its path and the snake decided we weren't worth the efffort and slithered away. We narrated the incident to the others later on. I couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry when everyone's immediate question was to ask if we took a picture. Umm...we were more concerned about getting out alive rather than taking pictures! We truly live in an Instagram world. 

For the fourth and final leg, we were finally out of the "woods" and arrived in the town of Zumarraga, our final stop. Zumarraga is the birthplace of Miguel Lopez de Legaspi (finally, someone I know!) and we gathered in front of his statue at the city square. By then, I couldn't feel my feet anymore but I was so glad to have completed this day's walk!


Comments

Popular Posts