In Search of B&Bs: Star Villa in Cingjing

My recent trip to Cingjing was wonderful! Although I was not fully impressed by Cingjing attractions themselves as I mentioned in a previous blog, I definitely had a wonderful time. All this because I stayed in a super nice bed-and-breakfast! 

I was surfing the net and looking for Taiwan sites which had great autumn colors when I came across Star Villa (清境天星渡假山莊). Immediately, my interest was piqued because its website featured a sea of clouds rolling across its balcony. I mean, being among the clouds without having to hike up a mountain? Count me in! 

The facade of Star Villa -- looks like an ordinary house from the outside
Upon engaging a conversation with the owner, I learned that they bought the place initially  for their retirement. Later, following the trend of minsu tourism in Cingjing, they opened their doors to outsiders and started their bed-and-breakfast (B&B) business. I guess business was so good that they decided to construct another building in the same property to accommodate more guests. 

I had such a wonderful stay in Star Villa that I'm already planning when I could go back. I think this is the perfect sign of a successful B&B -- that guests think of going back because they want to stay in the B&B again, and not because of any other nearby attraction.

Wanting to put up a B&B of my own, it baffles me to put into words what I liked so much about Star Villa that makes me want to go back.   

The perfect location. 

Star Villa's main attraction is being one of the highest situated minsu in the area. Here, you have a great view of the mountains in the morning, experience being in a sea of clouds in the afternoon and reach for the stars in the evening. Without needing to leave the Villa, you can actually experience nature at its finest.

The endless range of mountains as seen from Star Villa's balcony
I also love the way its location is secluded, away from the hustle and bustle of tourists, but at the same time, it's just a short walk away from restaurants, shops and the main attractions. 

The perfect balance between the feeling of being pampered and the feeling of home. 

Let's face it. When I stay in a hotel, I love the feeling of being in a luxurious space which does not have the usual clutter of a home. Because I don't live in a grand house, I treasure moments where I can experience and live in a place that has nice furniture, gleaming floors and yes, even centralized air-conditioning. B&Bs, on the other hand, are not always known to have that hotel feel. But they are precious in providing a feeling of comfort and of being in one's home. Somehow, Star Villa managed to balance these two considerations into one minsu. And all for a decent price. 

Don't you just love windows like this? 
The place was definitely clean, cozy and well-maintained. The ground floor opened up to a front desk and a lobby which contained a comfy sala set with a fireplace and some books for reading. It's nice to lounge around here while waiting for your companions or for the next trip. 

Lobby with a rustic theme
I got a room in the newer building and it was so spacious! The owners certainly did not scrimp on construction materials. I got wooden parquet floors, a modern flat screen TV, a huge and firm queen-size bed with a warm comforter. In keeping with its "star" theme, the ceiling has stars and constellations which appear when lights are switched off. 

Spacious room where I could do some yoga in the morning
Most rooms have french windows leading to a balcony where you can sit and enjoy the view. I loved sitting there, sipping my warm coffee and reading a good book while the wind swirls around my face. 

There's also a large balcony in front of the minsu which everyone can use. It's a nice place to stay during the day to enjoy the view of the mountains. At night, guests troop up to the top floor of the new building to hear a short "lecture" on star gazing by the owners. 

Public balcony to enjoy the view
The human (or non-human) touch. 

Endearing -- that's the word I was looking for. I think one of the reasons why I'd like to go back is that the place has endeared itself to me. From the friendly owners who manned the front desk to this big fella who greeted everyone with enthusiastic wags and a huge grin... 

Michelle the friendly but camera shy labrador

The basic quick and friendly service. 

Needless to say, good customer service is essential in any hospitality industry. I think what sets the Villa's service apart is the speed of communication and the non-demanding tone. Because I was going solo for this trip, I had some apprehensions in making arrangements for my transportation. My fears were immediately allayed when I got a fast response from the Villa. They acknowledged my questions and provided me several options. They gave me space and time to make decisions without making any irritating follow-ups as some tour agencies are wont to do. They assisted me in all other arrangements, like booking a half-day tour and arranging my transportation from Taipei. My only lament is that they seem hesitant whenever communication was done in English. 

For quite some time, I wavered on my resolve to put up a B&B. When I left Star Villa, I asked myself, "Would I last for months in such a place? Not getting bored? Not itching to get up and leave?" If it were something like Star Villa, I knew the answer was yes. 


Getting There:

Take a bus to Cingjing and ask to be dropped off at the Tourist Center. Call the Villa and ask them to pick you up! Upon arrival, the front desk will provide you with a map of the place and give you directions to the major scenic spots. 

Here's the link to Star Villa's website: www.star-villa.com.tw 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience of Star Villa, which I have shortlisted and may stay there next Feb when I visit Taiwan.
    The feedback from other hotel guests seem to be that rooms in the older/front have better/unblocked view while some rooms in the newer block have view blocked by the older block. Was that the case with your room as well?
    Was it very cold during that Dec month?
    If I am arriving at noon on weekday, would you suggest I go to the Green Green Grassland first rather than Little Swiss Garden and Carton King?

    Regards

    Peter Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      Yes, the older building is the main house and it faces the balcony and the mountain views. But best to check with the hotel though since I noticed that a few rooms (especially the smaller ones) had windows facing the side, rather than the front.

      The new building is located at the back of the old one. Though at a slightly higher elevation, view can still be partially blocked by the old building. This was the case with my room at the third floor, but I didn't find it bothersome since there was still quite a distance between the two buildings.(see the balcony in my picture in the blogpost -- you can see the roof of the old building). If I remember correctly, there was a 4th floor but I'm not sure if there are rooms there. The advantage of the new building are of course the newer facilities and the roofdeck where the owner gives stargazing lectures at night.

      Temperature-wise, I was there in early November. Temp was between 6-11 degrees Celsius. Depends on what temperature you are used to, but for me, since I come from a tropical country, night-time was cold!!!! Starting at around 8 pm, I was all bundled up. Daytime was chilly, but with the activities and the sun, the weather was perfect.

      I also arrived at noon. Hotel car going to Green Green Grassland leaves at around 1 pm or 130 pm. Whether you go in the morning or in the afternoon depends largely on what show you want to see because these have scheduled times -- 1 Sheep show in the morning, 1 horse show in the afternoon. As for the others, there's no fixed schedule that will constrain you. I liked Swiss Garden in the daytime though because you can appreciate the natural beauty of the flowers more.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts