Jiu Fen -- Rustic Charm!

These rainy days reminded me of my trips to Jiu Fen in Taiwan, where I enjoyed exploring the small town and taking in the fresh mountain air. I always recommend this trip to my friends who go to Taiwan because the place has so much culture and is so accessible from Taipei City.

Jiu Fen (in Chinese 九份) is located about one hour away (by bus) from Taipei. It's a small town located in a mountainous region of the Rueifang District. Because of its location, it used to be a sleepy town with only a handful of inhabitants. However, gold was discovered there and with that, all things changed. The town experienced a gold rush and mining companies sprouted to take advantage of this discovery. 

All good things, though, come to an end. Mining was discontinued and the town went into a decline. Thankfully, it has retained much of its history and culture. Together with beautiful nature views and cool weather, the town is now a tourist attraction.

On my first visit, I only had enough time to go around Jin Gua Shi (in Chinese 金瓜石). Jin Gua Shi is a gold ecological park. Basically, they preserved certain structures and used this park to showcase how life was during the good old mining days. The park is so big. It's really nice to take a leisurely pace and explore the different areas of the park. I arrived there around 11 am and stayed on until 4 pm.


The various scenes from my trip to Jin Gua Shi

On my second trip, I went straight to Jiu Fen Old Street. Here, there are so many unique shops selling all sorts of things, some of which I didn't see in Taipei. There are also several tea houses, where you can sip tea, talk and enjoy the view.

I'll be posting soon more details on Jin Gua Shi and Jiu Fen Old Street in my next blog posts. So stay tuned!




Comments

Popular Posts