Jiu Fen Series: Jin Gua Shi -- Striking Gold!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'll be sharing more of my Jiu Fen trip. My visit to Jin Gua Shi was the first out-of-town trip I took from Taipei on my own. I didn't know what to expect. Jiu Fen was unknown to me until a few days before my trip when I hurriedly scanned the internet for places to spend my weekend. Needless to say, it was a trip worth remembering!

On the bus to Jiu Fen, I spent time looking at the bus route. I noticed that after the Jiu Fen Old Street main stop, there were still two other stops. I had read in a few blogs that there was a gold museum where you could pan gold yourself and I wanted to try this out. Upon reaching Jiu Fen Old Street, majority of the passengers alighted, but a handful stayed on. I decided that I'll explore the next stop just in case I can stumble upon some gold! 

The next stop turned out to be the Jin Gua Shi gold ecological park which showcased the life of miners in the old days. It's a sprawling place with nature trails for hiking, old Japanese houses, a museum and so much more.

The bus drops you off directly at the entrance.
Entrance to Jin Gua Shi Gold Ecological Park


After passing the entrance, I was taken aback at the size of the place. After all, I was expecting a small museum. I couldn't find an information office or readily available maps at the entrance, just a few stores which sold souvenirs and food, so I just kept walking and exploring.

Later on, I noticed that they had street signs which pointed out directions to the various "attractions".

Even the street signs have a rustic feel

The first "attraction" I visited was the Japanese Crown Prince chalet since it was nearest to the entrance. To me, the term chalet made the place sound sophisticated, but it was actually a large Japanese-style house made of wood. It was created in the 1920s for the visit of the Japanese Crown Prince, who unfortunately never came. Visitors are not allowed inside the chalet, but can walk through the gardens where you can find...guess what?... a golf course and archery field! Of course, at that time, the golf course wasn't anything like the 18-hole courses we have now -- it actually looked more like a mini-golf course. But nevertheless, the thought of having one in your own backyard was cool!

The golf course behind the Japanese Crown Prince Chalet

If you love nature and hiking, just outside the Crown Prince Chalet, there are beautiful mountain views and hiking trails.

If you love history and culture like I do, you can walk on and climb those steps going towards the Museum of Gold. On the way there, you will find the abandoned mining tracks which was used to transport the gold-bearing rocks from one place to another.

Old mining tracks and cart -- Seems like someone is interested to become a miner

The park also keeps one tunnel --- Benshan Fifth Tunnel -- partially open so that visitors can go in and experience how gold mining was done. There are wax figures inside the tunnel (sort of like big dioramas) which show the miners in action.

On the left, an old mining cart full of rocks with gold. On the right, entrance to one of the mining tunnels.

After walking this far, I finally came upon the Museum of Gold itself. It was a modern steel and glass structure which looked quite out-of-place in this quaint surroundings. Hordes of tourists were being guided by their tour guides into the building. I went inside to see what was so interesting to these tourists. The first floor was very typically of a museum. It displayed artifacts, dioramas, old mining equipment and had large explanations detailing historical facts. On the second floor, everything you want to know about gold is written there. Plus, the main attraction...a HUGE block of pure gold!

This block of gold holds the world record at 220 kg. Visitors are allowed to touch it -- some people believe touching this gold will bring fortune.

Getting hold of the gold

Whew! All that gold was a bit distracting. There were still other sites to see in the park but I was getting hungry. I found a small cafĂ© in the area which serves meals and pastries. In keeping with the spirit of the environment, I ordered a miner's lunch. I found it adorable. It came in a stainless steel container wrapped in cloth -- similar to the way the miners brought their lunch to the tunnels many years ago. In it was the usual miner's fare of chicken leg, vegetables and lots of rice. It wasn't gourmet, but it was good home-cooking.

My miner's lunch

There were still other areas to explore, but by then I only had time for one more adventure. The Four Joined Japanese Residences were near the exit so I joined the line of people going in. In the old days, several personnel from the mining companies had to relocate and live near the tunnels. Because of this, the mining companies (mostly Japanese) built houses for the staff and their families. The Four Joined Japanese Residences were four homes housed in one building. It was mainly a bungalow type housing which was built Japanese style. Since the place was old, only a certain number of people are allowed to enter at any given time. Inside, you'll see how the living room, dining area, bedrooms, and even toilets looked like in the 1940s.

So there it is... my Jin Gua Shi adventure! I didn't find the area where you can pan for gold, so I hope to go back soon to check out the other sites and to go on those hiking trails!

Tip:
Lines for the buses going back to Jiu Fen and to Taipei can be pretty long on weekend afternoons (starting at around 430 pm), so it's best to plan your schedule well.




Comments

Popular Posts