Chilling Out in Moalboal


I had badly needed a break…and Moalboal became my refuge.

Last week, I spent the most relaxing three days in a beautiful place called Blue Orchid. This resort is tucked away at the edge of White Beach in Moalboal and it is simply a peaceful haven.

Sunset at Blue Orchid, Moalboal

THE ROAD TRIP

Moalboal is three hours away from Mactan, Cebu. It was the perfect choice for us because the way to get there was entirely through land travel. So no seasickness, no worries about drowning, no long hours going psycho inside a small boat. :)  (Ok, I confess. Even with land travel,  I was nearing psycho level one hour after the start of the trip. Deep inside, I kept asking “Are we there yet?” every 10 minutes. Ha! Ha! Ha!)

The ride itself was uneventful. The trip took us through towns of Talisay, Minglanilla and Carcar. Halfway through the trip, we had to pass through a mountainous route which literally had several twists and turns. I was hanging on to my seat and holding my breath for the whole 30 minutes it took to get through that area. (I think this was because of the breakneck speed the driver maintained. The return trip was much more relaxed, when we got a chatty driver and a slower pace of driving.)

On the other side of the mountains, the different scenery emerged. Whereas the towns of Minglanilla and Carcar struck me as bustling little towns full of activity, Barili was quiet and calm, with simple folk going about their daily lives.

THE RESORT

I had read about Blue Orchid Resort as early as last year. Almost all the reviews I read about it raved about the place and the people.  I got really curious and immediately booked a room as soon as my friend and I agreed on Moalboal. I’m glad we got to stay there this year.

When we arrived at around noon, the resort manager, Melissa, was immediately at the entrance, receiving us with a warm welcome. Our bags were whisked away by the resort staff, leaving us free to explore the area with Melissa as our guide.

The resort has a dive shop and they arrange for diving trips, snorkeling and even day trips to nearby places, such as Kawasan Falls and Oslob. But since we were there to simply laze around, our time was spent enjoying the resort facilities.   

Here’s a countdown of what I liked about Blue Orchid:

#5: The animals!

Who would have thought that you’d find pet animals in this resort? They had a resident Rufous Hornbill called Esmeralda. She’s quite tame and loves to have her neck stroked. I found it so cute the way she hops to the side of her cage and tries to peek out whenever she hears people coming.

Esmeralda getting her daily dose of affection
They also have two cats. The big white one is the one who never stops “miaow-ing”, while the small yellow one loves to rub herself against your legs. 

Look who joined me for an afternoon nap! 

#4: The food!

I simply loved their cook! If I could bring her home, I would. Seriously.

The resort is far from the nearest town, and since we didn’t take any day trips to other places, we ate all our meals at Blue Orchid. They have a fixed menu which has several types of dishes, with both Filipino and western choices available.  Personally, I found their dishes flavorful, delicious and wonderfully not greasy. The servings are quite large too; each dish is good for sharing for 2-3 people.

#3: The sea and its many moods!

I simply love the sea. And at Blue Orchid, you’re just a few steps away from it. On a sunny day, we laid down on the lounge chairs, reading books, enjoying the sea breeze and slowly drifting off to sleep. On a rainy day, I stayed at the balcony of our room, just mesmerized by the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks below us.

This definitely beats lounging by the pool. There are steps going down to the sea too!  

On our last day, the weather finally turned sunny and we caught the low tide at 6 am. During low tide, the sea recedes so far back and it’s like half a kilometer of shore suddenly appears. There is a manmade pathway where you can walk out to the open sea. Along the way, you can discover little sea creatures like starfish, sea urchins, hermit crabs and a lot others which I can’t name.

Waiting for the sunrise while walking out to sea

#2: The cabanas!

Choosing this as number two was a struggle because I really loved their cabanas!

What better way to enjoy the sea than to sit atop a cliff and stare out at it, enjoying the breeze and the spray of the waves? From here, we waited for the sunset, watching Nature slowly paint the sky with wonderful colors.

Sense the peace in this scenery? 

#1: The yoga class (and all it stood for)!

Melissa was always looking out for us and asking us what we’d like to do. When we mentioned it would be great to have yoga classes, she immediately arranged for Michael, the owner himself and a certified yoga instructor, to conduct a yoga class for us.

It was my first time to do Ashtanga yoga, but Michael personally guided us through the different poses. So although Ashtanga is a powerful type of yoga which I’m not used to doing, I saw some good improvements in my body by the end of the session.

It was great doing yoga in a place overlooking the sea, where you hear the waves and feel the sea breeze. After the session, Michael also brought us up to the roof where we could see Moalboal from a different perspective.  

This experience was really heartwarming! For me, it wasn’t really about the yoga class (though I did enjoy it!), but it was about the thoughtfulness and sincerity of the people who run this resort. They go out of their way to anticipate your needs and try to make your stay the most comfortable and enjoyable trip ever.  They generously share what they have to offer and pay attention to the littlest details. 

For me, this place is not a resort – it’s a welcoming home. :)

With Melissa and Michael from Blue Orchid

POSTSCRIPT: GETTING THERE

For convenience, we asked the resort to arrange airport transfer for us, so there was a car which brought us directly to the resort. There are other ways of getting to Moalboal using public transportation, but I found them too much of a hassle.

The fee for the airport transfer was P2000 (one way), an amount I found quite reasonable considering the length of the trip. I think the price was also cheaper, compared to hiring a taxi from the airport itself where the published price was P2400. Aside from the convenience, we were also able to make stops to buy snacks and to use the bathroom. If you’re lucky like us, you can also get a driver who can show you where to buy souvenirs or famous local food. Our driver on the way back was a friendly young fellow who enjoyed  pointing out news-worthy sites and who brought us directly to the place which made their own chicharon.

If you’re really, really on a budget, here are directions I gathered from other websites for the public transportation to Moalboal: 
  1. Take a taxi to South Bus Terminal. From the airport, this could cost you about P100-150 and will take about 30 minutes. 
  2. Take a Ceres bus to Moalboal. You can choose between a non-airconditioned bus or an airconditioned one, with prices ranging from P107 to P115.
  3. Upon reaching Moalboal town proper, take a tricycle for another 30 minute ride to the resort.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts